Sunday, March 18, 2012

The Ensigns of Command

I have an incredibly sad addiction to light rock and adult contemporary music, particularly from the late 70’s and early 80’s. It is cheesy, tacky, mellow, and extremely over-produced oh and wonderful. Today I have been enjoying my Pandora radio app and listening to the likes of Christopher Cross, Barry Manilow, Robbie Dupree and Lionel Richie and I’ve been enjoying every minute of it. A particular favorite is Chrisopher Cross’ 1979 masterpiece “sailing”. How sad am I for loving this music but at the same point I don’t really even care what people think. My sister’s birthday party was a great deal of fun and I drank far too much of some nasty ass green vodka concoction, which I will never do again. At the end of the night we decided to go to a local dive bar and enjoy some local fun. It ended up being Karaoke night and so I got up twice to sing for the good people of Corcoran. The first was a duet of Bonnie Tyler’s “total eclipse of the heart” in which I sang the backup vocal and harmony on the rest… very fun! The second song was just me and I sang Al Green’s “let’s stay together”. I have not done this song in a long time but I would like to think I did a good job. The bar crowd applauded for me and the Karaoke guy even came to congratulate me on the performance. WooHoo.

Elliptical Machine- 2.56miles and 460 calories on the setting called “weight loss”

The Ensigns of Command
The Enterprise has been diverted to a planet because of a top priority transmission. It seems that a treaty has been breached between the Federation and the Sheliak, a race of super advanced non-humanoid beings. They have decided to colonize a planet in their space but they have found humans living on it and based on their treaty they had to give advanced warning before destroying all of the humans living there. Because of some strange radiation surrounding the planet Data must beam down and convince the humans to leave. Data encounters a colony of almost 15000 people who wound up on the planet after a guidance malfunction occurred on their ship. The colonists put up a big fight to the move but Data gets the help of a young woman who has an interest in robotics. Back on the ship Picard decides to meet the incoming Sheliak vessel in order to negotiate. Initially the Sheliak do not want to negotiate but Picard uses the treaty to his advantage and gets them to give him 3 weeks to evacuate the people. Back on the planet Data decides to use a little force and practically destroys the colonies irrigation system, this of course is after he tries the logical argument of the way the Sheliak will kill them. In the end the colonists agree to the move and the Sheliak get what they want even if it is delayed a few weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment