Thursday, January 26, 2012

We'll Always Have Paris

Ok folks, so here is the deal… I’m just a little pissed off this evening. I have an acquaintance that has made a few comments over the past few weeks insinuating that I am less than a man. Such comments as “oh come over here by the real men” or making a comment that a scream a girl made on a recording sounds like me. WTF! That is really all I can say. I am so very annoyed that some people think that just because a guy is gay that he is less than a “real man” or that he is essentially a girl on the inside. Well guess what I AM NOT A GIRL. I don’t understand this concept of a “real man” or a “man’s man” and this American idea that a man has to behave and act a certain way. In my book a man is someone who is respectful, truthful, honest, and open. So in this regard I would consider that gay men who are out and proud are more of a “man” than any straight guy could ever attest to be, no matter how many cars he has repaired or women he has bedded. The reason I say this is because for me to take the step  and courage to be an honest and open man I had to basically declare that I didn’t care what the world had to say and that I was going to live my life the way I wanted not matter what. I have developed a inner mantra… YOU CAN’T TOUCH ME. To me this means that no matter what you say or think about me I know who I am and what I stand for and you can’t touch that or change me in any way. I think that being a “Man” means that you are tough, emotionally and can deal with what comes your way. Could these supposed “real men” take and tolerate and overcome being picked on in school, being shoved into lockers, tripped, having kids laugh at you and even having your peers walk directly up to their face and call them a faggot? I wonder these things and then I also wonder why I had to put up with it. It also makes me wonder how I ever dealt with it and eventually became the person I am today. The answer to that is the love of my amazing family and my wonderful friends.
 I’m not saying this to say I am superior in any way or that I am better than other guys just that I think that we need to reconsider this concept of what it means to be masculine and how that is different from being “real man”.  
I’m sorry this has been a bit of a preachy post and that it seems very angry but that is how I am feeling at the moment. The aura of hatred and intolerance in this country is simply too much and it must change because I fear for those people, young and old, who can no longer tolerate the bullying, abuse, and isolation. Love is love and there is no place for hatred in anyone’s lives.  Again I usually don’t get preachy or mad but this is the one hot button issue of mine that I simply don’t tolerate.
Treadmill:
We’ll Always Have Paris
The Enterprise encounters a mysterious time loop where a they replay events from just a few seconds ago. The Enterprise then receives a distress call from a Dr. Paul Manheim (I wonder if he has a steamroller? LOL) and Picard immediately orders them to the planet but seems on edge about their new mission. The Doctor and his wife are beamed aboard due to complaints of illness and we learn that Manheim’s wife is a former flame of  the captain’s whom he left alone at a café some 25 year prior. The crew continues to experience time shifts and learn it is the result of Dr. Manheim’s work and immediately Data is tasked with the task of learning Manheim’s theories and fixing the problem. Along the way Jenise, Manheim’s wife tries to reconcile with Picard but there is tension between them. In the end the Doctor lives and Picard and Jenise get to experience that date they never went on 25 years earlier with a little helpful meddling from Counselor Troi.
The episode is a bit lame but features a wonderful guest starring turn from former Mamas and the Papas singer Michelle Phillips, who was apparently a huge Star Trek fan from the early days of the Original Series.

No comments:

Post a Comment